So- I’ve decided to try something new-
A round-up of my favorite things- (or big things- maybe it’s not my favorite haha). I’m going to start with Bi-Weekly because every week seems like a big commitment for me haha-but we shall see! I’m calling it “catch-up” because I feel like I’m always trying to catch-up. But- I’m not trying to be classy- or worldly- or a reporter. I’m being kind of lazy- looking through blog posts with two weeks of things- seems easier than my social media feeds or saving it somewhere that seems logically- but I forget the location.
It’s just a collection of some of my favorite things or “major” things going on. It might silly- it might be serious- it might be a soapbox. You’ll most likely find a lot of Buzzfeed or Mighty Posts! It might be guest posts or things. Who knows! and maybe it’s timely- or maybe I was behind and just saw it.
Without further ado!
Here it is. My first bi-weekly catch-up for March 12- March 25
I actually remembered to change my clocks! (in a timely manner)
I saw Pentatonix’s new cover of “Imagine” and ALL OF THE CHILLS! I keep watching it over and over.
I’d like to note that I often find Disney profound!
Apparently- Potter Puppet Pals’ A Mysterious Ticking Noise is now 10 years old! WOAH.
It was #NationalPuppyDay- and OH how I miss my Phaphy-
All About Me
- I shared my latest DiabetesSisters guest blog.
- Diabetes Daily shared my posts on their site “Leaving My CGM at Home: It’s Not the End of the World” and “5 Reasons Why I Believe in Pump Vacations“.Thanks cool kids!
- CGMs are now covered under Medicare and Medicaid- so that was a win! Can we focus on access & affordability of the essentials for advocacy now? (well- also health insurance now too…) Specifically insulin & test strips.
- Well first off- it’s Endometriosis Awareness Month. So I’ve been following along and wrote a piece.
- My friend from diabetes camp (and all around badass plus a wonderful human being) of about 17 years, Kaki, wrote a blog post for CDN (yes I asked her) about living abroad with T1D– for study abroad then adding travel and for Fulbright.
- To Write Love on Her Arms shared a post from The Mighty- “Grief Doesn’t Have a Timeline” SO TRUE.
- Don’t forget about champion athletes with diabetes from Stephen at Happy Medium! My friend Kim submitted me for one because I ran a 1/2 marathon.
- Another glorious human, Renza, wrote about insecurities and feeling good about diabetes management– but keeping in mind all of the outside factors with it! Let’s be honest- it is easier said than done!
- Karen from Bitter Sweet revisited her college experience– and gave a shoutout to CDN about the Off to College Booklets. (Oh so thankful!)
- This post from “The Mighty” really resonated with me. There are SO many things I don’t admit about living with chronic illness (specifically on the bad days)- well mostly that I struggle to admit and be honest about. But this specifically resonated with me regarding endometriosis and PCOS. These chronic illnesses have been their own kind of experience.
- A CDN student wrote about her experience transitioning to college with T1D- specifically managing a busy schedule– trying to find balance- and let’s be real- that is just always a challenge – especially for those people who struggle to not be workaholics (like myself).
- Amy from DiabetesMine wrote about grief when you have diabetes. I’ve recently lost two people- and I needed this post.
Some awesome advocates made Type 1 Day official in GA!
One of my favorite people- Moira wrote a piece for “A Sweet Life.” and I OH SO AGREE! Your word choice matters in diabetes– but also not just in diabetes.
DSMA Chat- Loved this one- especially certain questions- you can read through the tweets- #DSMA. Even though language wasn’t necessarily the focus- it felt like it touched on language- a lot!
(AGAIN- but focus with the government and ACA, etc).
Since this has been an ever present topic- I’m including all of the things under this date.
SOMEONE…. decided to say that paying for healthcare and iPhones was the same thing… and you should pick between the two- OH IF ONLY I COULD- OH IF ONLY THE THINGS I NEEDED TO STAY ALIVE AND “BE A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY” ONLY COST AS MUCH AS AN IPHONE. But the internet of course erupted– you sir- you made a mistake with that comment.
The healthcare replacement bill didn’t even make it to a vote! (WHEW- but we’re not out of the woods). Why am I not a fan? I’m a woman with a pre-existing condition (well conditions). (SIDE NOTE- I felt pretty honored to be tagged in some people’s posts- specifically Riva- I immediately thought… SHE NOTICED ME!) But back to the important bit. I FULLY acknowledge that the ACA isn’t perfect- but why not improve it? I’d rather not backtrack please… I like when it’s not legal to discriminate against pre-existing conditions when it comes to health insurance… (not that it still doesn’t happen…).
Well- that’s it for my first Bi-Weekly Catch-Up. It will DEFINITELY- be a work in progress.
(PS- If you you have an idea for a better name… please let me know! This isn’t my “field”of creativity.) I’ll also be playing around with formats and layout.
Hey you! Yes, you!
If you enjoyed this post, please comment and share. I’d also appreciate your feedback.
and of course-don’t forget to keep up with “There’s More to the Story” via email! (Right sidebar towards the top).